Tuesday, February 1, 2011

HARDEST THING-

Well, today I'm just going to quickly rant and rave about my Facebook status- 
the hardest thing about raising eight kids.
The hardest thing is:
Not the bickering, or the refereeing that goes along with that.
Although I spend many a day being a small shuttle service, it's not the driving.
And as much laundry that there will always be for me to do, it's not even that.
(although it surely comes a very close second).
THE HARDEST thing, by far, in this house, is EXPLAINING to my sons why they need to
wear a winter coat, every single day of winter.
WHAT THE HECK?  Does it end?  EVER?
It starts around here, somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas, during second grade.
And from there, until, well, either I stop debating, or just simply stop caring about it.
The beast that is my daily enemy. 
From the time they are getting their backpacks, until they
have lost the morning battle-
It is the creator of the frown, slumped shoulders, and one last, I'M THE ONLY KID THAT
HAS TO, as they are defeated once again, walking to the bus stop like
they just lost their baseball championship game.
My rule with the important things around here has always been a trueness to "fields I'm willing to die on".
There will be so many things in my kids' lives that go on-year to year. 
What other parents do or say really
isn't a concern to me,  they will use that to try and convince you that other parents let THEIR kids.
Whateverrrr....there are eight of you and what goes on with the Smith family just isn't gonna work
around here...
I weigh each thing carefully, wanting the things I am willing to fight for to be taken seriously. 
That's why I choose to let the other things, slide. 
The "no biggies". 
We all have them, but in every family, they differ.
It helps to show them the things that are important to us, that they can do, or not do.
And yes, usually in large families, there are many more on that side of the list-
Because, frankly, we'd be yelling at someone, at all hours, for something, if we weren't more
laid back then the norm. 
That has been able to create fun and laughter but balance in the things that just aren't gonna be happening around here.
Yes, we are like the movie CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN-
If you don't like the circus, get out of our tent. :)  haha.
So we expect a little from them, and give a little to them, in may topics of discussion...
especially those blessed teenage years.
Example: The girls are allowed to get piercings done on their ears, as many as they want...
Some they do themselves, some they've gotten done. 
I don't care if they have two or three, whatever...I did that. 
Even one high up on that area at the top-I forget what it's called. 
Knock yourselves out, and they look adorable..(we trust that they aren't going to make themselves look crazy)
But the other side is no nose, or bellybutton.  
Because they see us lax on part of it, there's not much discussion on the rest-
I'm not giving in or kissing butt, it's just what seems to work .
And since you're not super strict on everything, they really are understanding with the things that
we aren't diggin.
But having said that, this is just a talk with NO END!
The only one that we have come upon that doesn't die-lol
With these boys of mine, nothing I have ever said with the coats, matters. 
It's just not an option-when there are inches of snow, and school is delayed and you are sliding
your way to the bus, (call me crazy but) you need to have a coat that is thicker than a
long sleeved tee.
I have lectured about the weather, how cold they will be waiting outside, the fact that their
school wants it, and what the other students wear is like this. 
NOTHING. 
They HATE winter coats.
Their latest attempt failed- when trying to pull their sweatshirt hoods up and wear gloves,
thinking it's gonna make this disguise of theirs pass, as they walk by me.
Ummm....noooo fellas.
I dont' need a reason, I understand that. 
But as every parent knows, it's so much easier if they get it. 
Not only to have the silence in the matter, but if they understand, they see why, even if they don't agree.
I see that will just not be happening in this area of our lives.
One day it will be a story to tell, but for now?
The answer, every morning, is, BECAUSE IT'S WINTER, AND BECAUSE I SAID SO.
Those words we all swore we'd never say.  
We have become our parents---and it's just too funny.
Thanks for listening! :)
Hugs!

3 comments:

  1. Make them wear a short sleeve tee one day! See if they argue again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. jen, i promise, they would LOVE the dare! one of my boys has NEVER used his comforter. He lays on top and when I come in to check on them at night, and pull it over, even in dead sleep, his legs kick it off, like reflex. they are insane, just like their father ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this one has me laughing...and just last night as I left my mom and dad's to come home after a family dinner I heard ~MOM:"Stacey Anne, where in the hell is your coat. ME: in the car mom MOM: well it's not keeping you warm in the car now is it. You are going to catch pnuemonia. wear mine home.~ LOL LOL I didn't but it was a fight. and btw - my parents live next door to me - i walked there.

    ReplyDelete