Monday, February 21, 2011

Got A Teen?

Okay.  Moodiness is surrounding me. 
There is no escaping it.  No one is helping to ease it. 
It has invaded this house, and probably will not exit for the next eighteen years.
The rolling of eyes, the words that no matter what size, are exaggerated,
"But Moooooooommmmmmmm."
Even the way they walk in and out of the room you are in, like the weight of the world
has attached itself to their butts, and won't let go.
I know I was one, but forget how my parents reacted to all these antics of mine.
Maybe it's MY personality as a mom.
I mean, I tend to be sarcastic, and absolutely harassable.
So, (since my parents were mature), maybe I don't recall the comments that I make, having been said.
I'm sorry, it takes a lot, (and I mean a lot), of self control,  to not react and say, exactly how you
feel they are acting.  In fact, it takes a lot of control to not laugh in their face sometimes.
There are moments, that they are being totally serious, and I have just busted out hysterical. 
You cannot use every ounce of your might, and hold it in....it just HAS to be a joke--the things they are describing.
Girls more than boys of course, with that example, but the insanity in totally different ways.
Anyone with sons or daughters, within this age bracket, is feelin me right now.
Their daily dose, sometimes more than others, depending on how lucky you are, is probably a little
gift from God.
It's helping ease your transition from addicted, to letting go. 
His little creative concoction, that he gives each hormonally imbalanced teen, to make it a tad easier to
help untie the apron strings, a little at a time.
They can drive you so insane, that I have heard of parents, willing to let them leave for college at 15 1/2.
But so, is the circle of life.
Okay, so in this house we have three right now. 
Three, out of whack, could snap at any second, kids, and they are all completely differently insane.
Our oldest Lexi, was never drama crazy. 
Don't know if we lucked out with who she hung out with, but she is so much (and always has been)
like her father, who doesn't play that game, so I think it wouldn't have been her, no matter what. 
She didnt have it in Ga, and we moved back to Pa her sophmore year, and she doesn't have it here.
She never needed to have the HOLLISTER clothing, always wanted to put stuff into her own style. 
So nothing with that dept either.  She's always been where she says, calls when she's not coming home. 
We've always called Lexi, a great, "pave the way and get us into this parenthood journey", kid.   
Having said that, she tends to have issues in the "non motivated" category. 
And has a room that a pig sty would win a blue ribbon before. 
The hormones tend to show, with her when she is "sooo annoyyyyyyed."
which can be all day or simply, ten minutes.
Her boyfriend hears it every time he walks by, or sits down.  
We are all annoying-and you probably would be to her, too. 
You will also (again, like her dad) lose her, if you ramble on with a lecture or instructions-just tell
her what you need her to do and be done.
She loves her siblings and with how annoying everyone is, she isn't too annoyed by them very often.
Good big sis and very proud of all of them-
She and her friends tell me what's goin on and we laugh a lot.  She is good about
letting me in her life-
I love that.  But again, wear a hard hat when entering her room.
Now we move onto Gabe.  Here we have our first example of a boy. 
My oldest son, so we are learning the difference between boys and girls...very strange-
The strangest to me, would fall upon being a woman...and not understanding, for a second, how
there cannot be ANY detail, whatsoever, to ANYTHING that is said. 
Like most men, he leaves me, (and any female) wondering about any "main ingredient" to a story.
He can make some massive statement, that leaves your chin on the ground, wondering what, or
how the heck?  And immediately, leave the room....
I follow, needing to know more, and I become the annoying one. 
"Mommmm, I don't knowwww....why do you need to know everyyyytthinngggg...."
The drama with boys is so opposite from the girls---your ears aren't bleeding from stories but more dehydrated, if you will. 
There isn't enough to even formulate a story in your mind.  It's just not right.  It's not normal.
Gabe is very open, but quiet.  He is such a good boy when it comes to letting you still hug him, or show emotion. 
Not for long, but I am allowed a few seconds here and there, which I know is hard, but he's good about.
He allows me to still be his mom that way....for me.
I would say his annoyance, (which turns into mine), is his position in the family.
Having so many siblings is great sometimes, and not so great others. 
And Gabe would definitely rank #1, in being the easiest annoyed by the little guys. 
He likes organization, things in their place, and little noise.  And that doesn't come along often around here.
Things tend to get loud when he's in the room because they don't listen to him when he gets mad. 
And the fire is fueled.  They run by, his leg gets stuck out, people trip into a pile. 
He says things to egg them on....they start to cry....the oldest brother job position. 
Then I have to be referee so I'm annoyed.  He's also a mumbler...I cannot understand half of what he says, so I get annoyed.  There already isn't enough TO be said, so let me hear you!
But every so often, I see him teaching wrestling moves to his brothers in the basement or picking up the baby
and just playing with her...and its heartwarming....
I know it's in-there, it's just being a teenager.
Our last and final contestant, is Reilly...our thirteen year old daughter.
The heavens parted with Ry was born.  Seriously.  She has always been a very in touch little girl,
and a born "mama". 
She looooovessss kids, loves organizing, and makes everything a big deal when it happens, like it's happening to her. 
She will tell you how she feels about things, and would really do anything for anyone. 
There have been numerous times, we are at a sporting event, and come home to the entire house clean. 
She loves to do things for people, and has always said she actually LIKES it.  God bless her.
Having said that, just as she loves to express her feelings to you-
oh my, does she ever, about everything else under God's green earth.
A book is written, on a daily basis, with every single tiny detail, of every word spoken, and is
then put into the LIBRARY OF REILLY, to re-read to us again, later.
It takes at least twenty minutes for that girl to tell you the beginning of what happened today in homeroom, because it takes that long to describe (simply) the setting, and what everyone was wearing...
Like that has any relevance in why the teacher gave his Science test,  two days early.
Then you have to understand how big of a deal everything that happens truly is. 
I mean, life threatening.  And she is serious. 
Her face gets this weird look and the arms move in every direction, the voice shakes,
and then gets really quiet....
"No, mom, you just, oh my gosh, you don't even understand, it's just, oh my gosh, mom...totally insane,....and we were all like, totallllyyy freaking out...I'm not even kidding." 
Roman and I just look at each other. 
So here we have the "clean freak, sweet emotion" example, but drama out the ears, until the cows
come home.
There is no EASY teen people....and not enough space here to list the daily occurrences or what
they're all about. 
I think the best to remember is that they are all divided.  
Made up of bits and pieces of the things that will drive you nuts for a while-in all different ways. 
Along with a few dibs of their sweetness, you remember loving for the first twelve years, so much.
In fact, that's the part of this time,, that is kind of funny to watch. 
Just as the personalities vary, so do the qualities, that are "challenging" you to stay sane.
The important part of it, is that they stay respectful and you stay encouraging. 
I love that each of them still seeks me out- to confide in me, and talk to me about things that are going on.
I had that with my mom, and it was so important for me to have with my kids.
You don't always have to have your head on straight, you're only human.
They will tempt you sometimes to pack their
bags and drop them at the train station with a one way ticket. 
But stay true to what you want them to take from you and this time in life.
Words hurt-
Don't get too caught up in it....they don't mean to be unbalanced loonitics.
Underneath this mask of disguise, is still your little boy or girl...and they'll be back....I promise.
We just have to keep praying ,we make it til then, and we will....:)
Hugs!

2 comments: