Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Perfect Mom

I, like you, believe I have seen her.
I can't remember if it was at the mall, or pre-school drop off, maybe it was at the park
last summer, but it could have been on vacation.
The perfect mom.
The look, the demeanor, the everything.
Her make-up. her perfectly groomed kids, the way she walked around, even her bag that seemed to have every single thing available at a whim.
There she stood, chatting with other moms, laughing the day away.
She's not distracted by what she will need to do later or how her house looks if someone stops by when she gets home.
Because it's all done, it's sparkling clean with a roast in the crock pot.
She looks like that, and has, in all that is her perfectness, probably mastered everything there is to do. She probably even lets her kids finger paint!
Because she is simply, that perfect.
After I figure all of this out, I keep staring. I look down at my own bag, all tattered with a stain. It's from Target and last years model.
Then I look at my outfit, it's not bad but I can't put it all together to look cute-and don't get me started on my house right now.
After realizing, I am alone in this, I stoop to a new level, one that I'm not too proud of. I go flaw searching. I talk about her, this innocent woman.
She didn't do anything to me...except flaunt her "all that" self around me at the playground. I mean, that's not cool.
So there I stand, giving excuses---She's probably not a nice person, maybe she's a mean mom, yeah, that's it. And she never plays with her kids, look at her showing off.
Whateverrrr.
What is it with us girls? We've all done it.
Maybe not with looks (because I'm exaggerating here to make my point), or "things", but maybe you see a sweet, simple mom.
Who just makes balancing look so easy
or seems to have created the perfect formula to makes life work.
We've all taken a mental-back seat at one time or another, thinking were inferior to another mom's magical being.
A mom that is ten times better than you, even on your best day.
Or so you think....
But stop right there. Why continue? Let me clue you in on something. Something huge. Something very important.
You haven't seen her. And as much as I want to believe MY eyes, I haven't either.
You haven't happened upon her at the schools, or an engagement you've attended.
Haven't been introduced at Bunco or the elementary school fair. She doesn't exist, at all.
Not anywhere, it's a mirage. That image was NEVER there, so yes, you're seeing things.
There is not such a person walking the earth. Not today, next week, or next year.
And the sooner we realize that, the better off we (and those we love) will be.
As soon as we can accept ourselves with a forgotten library book, an undone list, or yes,
even a wrinkle on that infamous superwoman cape of ours,
the sooner we can truly embrace all of the things that we do complete, wonderfully.
It will always equal out somehow, were human.
So if you look great, you probably have a house that's a wreck.
If your kids are always well-behaved, you probably aren't a great cook.
If you're always on time, I'm sure you don't get out much.
For every positive, each woman, yes EACH ONE, has a negative.
And if you remind yourself of that, you will be able to "forgive" someone for looking
like perfection.
You will learn to smile at someones "plus" while embracing your "minus".
Like-"Wow, that's great that your car is spotless, but I prefer mine, my kids always have something to grab for show-n-tell."
See?? Cool huh?
Love what you're made of and what that offers your family and friends.
You would never be happier is anyone else's shoes, so don't be happy wishing
your act, (or hair), was that well put-together either.
We, as women, need to stick together, we are one.
And each one of us IS perfect, just the way we are.
Hugs!

2 comments:

  1. But Jen, your ARE that mom!! You may try to shatter my image of you as the Perfect Mom but it won't work...

    ReplyDelete