Monday, December 13, 2010

Are YOU ready?

I'd love to sit today and brag like I was listening to some women do yesterday-
I'd love to tell you all how organized I am with the upcoming holiday festivities and that 98 % of
my gifts were bought and wrapped. That there was nothing needed for this coming weekend and my inlaws visit, but the actual trip to Sams Club, because even the list was written and in my wallet. That my house was spotless, the liquor cabinet stocked, and all the stocking stuffers were in a great hiding spot...all just simply waiting for the day to come.
But, um...no.
While yes, we did clean this weekend, it really doesn't look like it anymore...
We had wrestling tournaments, birthday parties and the nutcracker performance. We had to return outdoor lights that didnt match the sets we were short on, and someone needed new contacts. Then there was the parent teacher conferences that were every few hours, spread out just enough that there wasn't much to get done in between....
But having said that, for some reason, INSIDE, it doesn't change a thing-
Regardless of where I am in the "holiday shuffle", this time of year has a spark that can't be taken from inside of me. Nothing that gets, or doesnt get done, changes the feeling I have listening to the songs, lighting our candles or watching Rudolph for the 45th time.
It doesn't make my baking (well, buying the premade dough and decorating) more rushed, or
shlepping up a hill for miles to find a tree that ten people agree on any less hysterical.
Christmas spirit is like the flu in the wintertime around here-spread across each floor of the house and hitting all in it's path.
No matter how far you are from "being done", preparing and shopping for the holidays are part of the fun...one of the ingredients of the recipe that will become your children's tradition.
It's not a race or a contest, and certainly shouldn't be taking away the joy in even a last minute trip to the mall with your adorable scarf on.
Have fun in even the little things. Show your kids it really is all about what you make it, and you're planning on making it BEAUTIFUL.
Hugs :)

3 comments:

  1. Girl, I don't know how you even have time to blog, much less Christmas shop + decorate. You rock! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and thanks for the perspective! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Jen..can't wait for the next entry!! Merry Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete